Monday, December 7, 2009

Finally!

Hi all, Well after about 11 months in the planning, the 4 lists, the anxiety, the excitement, the parties and the leavings and the tears, the organization, the loss, the love, after everything, I have finally made it to Sri Lanka.  I must admit that as I sat in the airport for hours in Doha, Qatar, I had some fair amount of nervousness and wondered what I was doing.
Everything really went as planned, we were met at the airport (we you say, well it turns out there were 2 other volunteers on the plane, I did meet one of them on the 3rd flight).  We are staying until Dec. 29. at a lovely little guest house run by a woman who is Sri Lankan but has lived all over the world.  I for some reason got the best room I think.  I have a fan in the ceiling, a little balcony outside so I get a little breeze and a trickle of what probably is hot water.  I say it that way not really because I was being impatient but because when we arrived we had 2 and a 1/2 hours until lunch and I laid down for a little nap and woke up thinking I had over an hour and it turned out it was lunch time so I had to jump quickly into the shower and pull stuff out of my neatly packed bags and make a mess because I was keeping everyone waiting..
There are 8 people who will train over the the next 3 weeks.  There are 26 in country all together.  We shall have 3 hours of training 6 days per week in language!  We start tomorrow.  On Dec. 30 I travel to Badulla and find out about my accommodations.  There is another volunteer in Badulla, a psych social worker which is good, less isolating.  Is it significant that that is the anniversary of my mother's death?  If it is it is a sign of her joining with me in this venture I think.
In the meantime, I now have to go back to my room and face the mess I left it in when I tore through trying to find clothes after my luke warm shower when I overslept!!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy following your blog: it is the only one I have any interest in. Your trip to, and arrival in Sri Lanka sound like a great start to an incredible adveture. Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Nancy,
    Great to hear you've arrived! Wish you a lovely stay in Colombo during the lessons, at the VSO office or what ever you do! Also do enjoy your trip and first meeting with Badulla, the staff, the other VSO volunteer and your landlord&landlady! I hope you'll get the chance to meet a lot of people and also see your future home! Please send my love to the staff! Thanks!
    Wish you the very very best & take care!
    Hannie Johannink (ex-VSO volunteer Badulla, Sri Lanka)

    ReplyDelete