Thursday, December 10, 2009

In Country Training and life

Well, I have wanted to write for what seems like many days but to my total surprise I have been too tired to walk to the internet cafe (a ten minute walk) on most days.  I have always arrived places and went sight seeing almost immediately, now I am not yet sleeping and dragging myself thru our training each day.  It is somewhat hot and humid but not overly so, I keep myself up until at least 9 or 10 but still..oh well it will work itself out.  I am using this of course as an excuse as to why I cannot seem to remember anything we are learning in our daily 3 hour Sinhala language class.  I am having a lot of fun with our teachers though who have wonderful senses of humor and love to play. Learning the culture of the Lankans is great, their language is practical and without extra words, a lot is said with facial expression and they are direct yet secretive.  The best thing about them is how much they smile and laugh and seem to take joy in the moment despite all the horror that has happened here like wars, tsunamis, poverty etc.   I am in training with 5 other people, one dutch, one American of Bangladeshi origins, one Ugandan and 3 Brits.  half of us are in mental health placements and half in  other things.
 I had to sign something yesterday that referred to me as an expat!  How exciting!  I had to go to buy a new cell phone and went with the other american woman.  In the store the the clerk asked her about herself because she is Bangladeshi and then asked about her mother?  She was referring to me!  So now I must already look Asian.  I am sleeping for the first time with mosquito netting although there don't seem to be many mosquitos, and for someone like me who needs to get out of bed at night (!) frequently, it is quite inconvenient!
I just spoke on the phone with Ancy who is the Psychiatric Social Worker at the placement with me in Badulla, I am overjoyed and excited to meet her and get there.  She will be on vacation when I arrive on Dec. 30 unfortunately and apparently from Dec. 31 until around Jan 4 I shall be pretty alone but it will give me time to explore the town and get my apartment, which has 2 bedrooms by the way (ahhm friends and family) set up.  Okay it is true there is no hot water and the cold water is cold.  It is also rainy season and it is fairly hot and humid.
My daily lessons continue especially to be tolerant and not make judgements and  NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS about anything!

2 comments: